11.24.2010

A call for adventure in Westchester

What do you do when you're in your mid-20's, childless and living in Westchester, NY? You could follow my initial lead: complain and become a hermit. Or you could also follow my new lead: seek out the unexpected.

I've lived in Westchester County for three years now after moving here with my husband when he transferred to SUNY Purchase. You can imagine our surprise when google maps showed us an image of SUNY Purchase surrounded by 6 country clubs and golf courses. "Where's the college town?" we exclaimed. (A little secret: there isn't one). Initially we experienced culture shock (and price tag shock) and while we still feel tragically hip for this place, we try to forge a niche for ourselves within the community.

Recently I have met some amazing women who expressed some similar sentiments about settling down in Westchester. This blog is inspired by my experience and the experience of other young Westchestarians who are searching for unique experiences and novel places to shop, eat and socialize.

This blog will highlight my novel experiences in Westchester, including stores, eateries and entertainment that I've discovered. I also want to highlight other people's discoveries and encourage you to send me ideas to include in my posts.

Happy adventures!
Gina

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a blog! I love it! Westchester has its reputation of housing the diamond studded, gym membershipped, soccer mom and her wallstreet husband...but remember, Westchester is made up of tons of people who used to live the artsy life in NYC. People who couldn't afford it, people who wanted more grass and trees in their lives, or yes, people who got married, had kids and couldn't afford, or didn't want to, raise kids in the most populated city in the country. This county is filled with soo much variety--travel up north and to see all the amazing trails, the ponds and lakes, farms, etc or check out the downtowns of the various cities in Southern Westchester for amazing food...there are museums, plays, culture, and a lot more diversity than many counties in the US. But heck yeah, it's hard to live in Westchester in your 20s with no kids! Been there! And often, at first, your social live tends to revolve around NYC stuff. Then you either luck into meeting some awesome people who introduce you to more awesome people who know more awesome people...and discover there are a lot of musicians, thespians, writers, visual artists, etc., right in your own back yard...and they know some cool things going on around here. Or you make a conscious effort, like you, Gina, to seek out cool activities, events, and people.

    Anyway, it's a great topic, and cool that you've found this group of Amazing Women who share a similar goal. You truly have a lot of information to share, and I love that you explore and find unique happenings. I look forward to reading on in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Tara! I am excited to blog about my experiences and help others like me discover the artistic community that is hidden in Westchester. If you have any ideas of places I could check out or if you ever want to guest blog, let me know.

    ReplyDelete