12.14.2010

Social groups in Westchester

One might argue that it doesn't matter if you've discovered hip places to go in Westchester if you don't have anyone to accompany you. It certainly isn't much fun to go to a film or restuarant alone and sometimes you just don't want to show up to an art opening by yourself. Problem solved: Meetup.com.

I was so excited when I happened upon this website which describes itself as the "world's largest network of local groups". After a few minutes of browsing the site, I realized that there are Meetup groups for all kinds of personalities or interests. Like wine tasting or coffee cupping? They have a group for that. Like to party at Happy Hour? They have lots of groups for that. Want to try yoga, gardening, or scrapbooking? You're covered.

Here is a highlight of just some of the Meetup groups available in Westchester--

New Girlfriends of Westchester: Recently I joined this group to make friends with other 20-something women. Past meetup events included a blook club, games night, wine tasting & Halloween related activities.

New In Town: This group plans a vareity of social groups for singles and couples, including cocktail parties.

Wednesdays Wine Social: Want to learn more about wine? Try this monthly Meetup at Chiboust in Tarrytown.

Westchester 20 Somethings: Into the Happy Hour scene? This group organizes events like a trip to Dave & Busters and a Halloween pub crawl.

DIY Craft Club: Time to get inspired at these group crafting events.

Tarrytown Raja Yoga: Try out this yoga group hosted by Betsy Ho who studies at the Himalayan Institute.

Novice Hikers: This group has over 1,000 members and has already hosted 127 meetups!!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great list. I've always been hesitant to try any meetup thing. I don't know why, but online groups have always turned me off. It really is the way of the future, or the now really, even the way of the past. But I still haven't tried it. I should check it out...(and tried to check out the right as rain, but it said the group didn't exist?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara- Although MeetUp is an online forum, it really is just a way to organize events. At least it functions that way for the group I joined. So I find that the medium (social media website) doesn't get in the way of really getting to know people.

    The Right As Rain group doesn't appear to exist anymore. Bummer. I was thinking of joining it to nurture my art since I haven't being much of it lately. So I deleted it from the post.

    ReplyDelete